This class introduces the music, dance, story writing, & acting skills that will eventually be put to use both at the end of this semester, and in the future, when the kids are old enough to participate in MTP FOR BIGS. Over the 10 weeks of this semester, this class will introduce beginning:
- music reading skills
- sight singing
- piano skills
- good singing habits (learning fun breathing & vocal warm-ups etc.)
- basic choreography
- story spinning (learning to work together to make up a play, opera, or ballet)
Since this age group features short attention spans ;) , we will move from one topic to another frequently throughout the class so that all the various skills get addressed and there's no time for boredom. ;) The class is designed to give your child a flavor of some of the skills that go into musical theatre playwriting and performing. Everything will be done in a fun, approachable, age-appropriate way (eg. identifying music notes by throwing them into Bozo's Buckets or jumping onto them etc.), and parents are welcome to participate if they so desire.
Near the end of the semester, we will do a 15 minute demonstration/open class for the students' families, at which your family will be especially invited to watch and participate with the students. Your participation is expected, and if you fail at Bozo's Buckets, we will laugh at you.
Additionally, the MTP LITTLES will briefly perform in the MTP BIGS' play at the end of the semester. Our class will just be featured in 1 or more dances (exactly how many is TBD as it depends on our interest/proficiency by the end of the semester-- if the MTP LITTLES are more interested in sight singing and piano, they'll only do 1 dance in the show, but if the class generally enjoys learning lyrics and choreography they'll do more--one gets more out of the students if the content is somewhat student-directed), and in this way, they'll also get a flavor of what it's like to perform in a real musical. We may also help the MTP BIGs by painting a backdrop for the play. Please do not sign up for this class if your child is unavailable to perform in the MTP BIG performance.
Teacher: Marybeth Poole
Minimum/maximum number of students: 4/10
Age range: 3-6
Optional Recommended Supplies:
- They must wear clothing in which they can move, particularly shoes (I'm not picky-- just not mucky rain/snow boots, ok?)
- Please dress for mess. Between painting the backdrop and painting and squirting music symbols and so forth-- we are likely to be messy some days.
- There will be a dress code (possibly with accessories I will provide or we will make) for the MTP performance. I will choose attire that everyone already has or can easily borrow. The purpose of the MTP performance is to give them fun performance experience and a taste of what's going on, not to stress people out with costuming issues.
- Please send kids to class with outerwear. When possible, we will play some music and acting games outside.
- Students this age learn best through repetition. Therefore, the students will be assigned age-appropriate, useful homework such as:
- playing preschool music game on the recommended app
- color by note worksheets
- watching and singing/dancing along with choreography videos
- reviewing the piano music they learned that week
Goals of Class:
- To make the arts fun and accessible to our youngest students
- To give students a taste of many of the skills involved in putting on a show
- To lay down the groundwork for students' future participation in the arts, particularly in the older version of this class
- To give students an opportunity to use and discover their gifts in various artistic areas
About Marybeth Poole:
-Musical Theatre Performing Major (vocal performance focus) from ISU
-Creative Writing Minor
-Master's in Elementary Ed. from NLU
-Ran the theatre dept. for Starland, a children's enrichment center, for several years (ages 3-13) and has been teaching private voice & drama to children and adults for even more years
-Wrote and directed several musicals at Starland
-Has been teaching at LOGYC co-op for 3 semesters
Family must register for LOGYC Coop in order to sign up for classes.